As a new homeowner, having a well-equipped toolbox is essential for handling repairs, maintenance tasks, and DIY projects around the house. An investment in tools is always cheaper and of more value than having to hire someone for everything that needs to get done. While there are numerous tools to consider, the following five are particularly indispensable for a wide range of home-related tasks:
- Cordless Drill: A cordless drill is a must-have tool for any homeowner. It provides the versatility of both drilling holes and driving screws, making it indispensable for various projects. Whether you’re assembling furniture, installing shelves, or hanging curtains, a cordless drill will save you time and effort. When buying cordless tools it is important to pick a brand and stick with it. Every brand has a proprietary battery pack that can be used for all their tools. I recommend the Hercules brand from Harbor Freight.
- Cordless Saw: A cordless saw, such as a circular saw or a reciprocating saw, is an excellent addition to your toolbox. It allows you to cut through various materials, including wood, metal, and plastic, making it ideal for carpentry and DIY projects. The cordless design provides freedom of movement and eliminates the hassle of dealing with cords. If you are going to be doing more carpentry type projects a circular saw is the way to go while if you have a lot of big limbs or frame to cut into, a reciprocating saw is the one you want. This too is an area I recommend Hercules.
- Screwdriver Set: A comprehensive screwdriver set is essential for handling a wide variety of screws around your home. Look for a set that includes both flathead and Phillips head screwdrivers in various sizes. Additionally, consider getting screwdrivers with magnetic tips to make handling small screws easier. Having the right screwdriver for the job will ensure that you can tighten loose fixtures, assemble furniture, and perform minor repairs efficiently. This is good for projects that require more finesse than a drill will give or ones with tiny screws.
- Level: A level is a simple yet invaluable tool for achieving straight and even lines in your projects. It ensures that pictures, shelves, and other installations are perfectly horizontal or vertical. A bubble or laser level will help you achieve accurate leveling quickly and easily. Invest in a sturdy and reliable level to avoid crooked or uneven installations. The right size is up to you, but 2-4 feet should be good for most projects you’ll encounter.
- Tape Measure: Accurate measurements are crucial for any home improvement project. A tape measure is indispensable for measuring furniture dimensions, wall spaces, and taking precise measurements for DIY projects. Look for a tape measure with both imperial and metric measurements and a locking mechanism to hold the tape in place when needed.
Bonus Tool: As a bonus addition to your toolbox, consider getting a utility knife. A sharp utility knife is incredibly versatile and useful for opening packages, cutting materials, and performing small cutting tasks with ease.
Equipping your toolbox with these five essential tools will empower you to handle various repairs and DIY projects around your home. As a new homeowner, investing in quality tools will not only make your tasks more manageable but will also contribute to the long-term maintenance and improvement of your home. With these versatile and indispensable tools at your disposal, you’ll be well-prepared to tackle any project and make your house a comfortable and beautiful place to live.